Feb 19, 2009

Cocktail Weenies

The current time is 4:40 p.m. -- in exactly 1.5 hours I will be arriving at a cocktail function for Adam's work...

Despite my persistent avoidance of salt over the last few days and the insane amounts of water I have consumed -- it's happening again.

My feet are swelling, and they look like GIANT sausages.



(notice the absence of an ankle bone and the bulging that occurs around the toe area of my left foot)

To make matters worse, the dress I had recently named my "maternity cocktail dress" which was a regular dress, just in one size bigger than I normally wear, no longer fits in a satisfactory manner (I determined this at about 8pm last night). So, my lunch break was spent digging through sale racks at over priced maternity boutiques looking for something that did not scream "HEY LOOK AT THE PREGGO IN THE COCKTAIL DRESS THAT EMPHASIZES HER BELLY WAY MORE THAN IT SHOULD (AND NOT IN AN ATTRACTIVE WAY)!"

Women SHOULD NOT have to attend anything fancy when they are pregnant. UNLESS, they have a beauty team consisting of a stylist, hair stylist and make up artist. I, unfortunately, do not.

What I do have is my loving husband who shrugs at my whining and tells me I look great. Then, walks back into the room to add "and it will be dark in there so no one will be able to see you." Which makes sense to a logical person...but, to a girl hopped up on hormones that translates into "you do look huge and your sausage feet freak me out, let's hope the darkness hides them from the other party-goers". And, I have to remind myself that I am not capable of logical thinking right now and need to focus on what he said and not what I heard!

So - one last glance in the mirror and we are out the door (only 20 minutes behind schedule)!

We arrive at the event and Adam was right...it is too dark for people to see my feet! And, the tablecloths are long so I can hide them while we are eating dinner.

During one of three trips to the bathroom (in a 1.5 hour time span) a woman stops to ask me where I found my dress. She explains that she was pregnant at this event last year and was about to burst out of the black dress she wore. She says my dress is very elegant and that I look beautiful.

That just made my whole day! I tell Adam about the woman when we get back to the car and he says "oh she must have looked like you would have if you would have worn the other dress (referring to the one that was recently retired)". (Sigh)...he's got some learning to do!

Here's what I am starting to learn about this whole pregnancy thing...it's what Adam has been preaching all along and I think he might actually be right (yep, I put that in writing):

The times when you really need to force yourself to get dressed and be social are when you feel like it's the absolute LAST thing in the world you want to do. It usually ends up being a good time and you ALWAYS feel better about yourself when you get home.

2 comments:

  1. No offense sis ... the pics of your feet kind of weird me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. He is right, and your feet are huge, but who cares?!?!? It's only for a couple of months. Then, your feet will shrink and your sanity will return.
    Dude, I wouldn't be above wearing flip-flops and saying, "What? What about being pregnant and uncomfortable do you people not understand?!?!"

    ReplyDelete