Feb 7, 2009

Pink It's My New Obsession*

* Title borrowed from the lyrics of Aerosmith's 1997 hit "Pink"...but used to describe my obsession for all things related to THE color for BABY GIRLS (not the subject matter of the original lyrics)!

Before we knew the sex of our baby, we had decided to pick a non gender specific color and theme to decorate the nursery. We were leaning toward green and possibly a monkey/jungle theme. After all, this is the more practical approach. Assuming the baby doesn't totally destroy the crib bedding and nursery contents with dirty bombs (aka: # 2 diapers) and puke -- we would be able to reuse it when, yes - that's right, the second tiny member of our family arrives.

Well, all of this logic and reason FLEW out the window the moment we found out we were having a baby girl. I googled baby bedding the very next day and it was like looking at it with a brand new pair of eyes. NOTHING would do except for PINK...with flowers...and lace and
ribbons....

This was all very shocking to me -- I have never been extremely girly; I HATED anything with lace or any other scratchy material [scratchy includes pretty much everything but cotton] since before I could even form sentences to express my discomfort; and, to this day it is VERY rare to catch me in pink-colored anything (except the n.a.p robe that Adam gave me -- I LIVE IN IT)!

Thankfully after a week or so -- the feelings towards flowers, lace and ribbons subsided -- and Adam gave up on the dream of an LSU-themed room (a story in itself). We compromised on BANANAFISH Bubble Gum!

A healthy balance of pinks, greens and yellows!

Not exactly up to par with J Lo's posh nursery (which was promptly nicknamed a "deathtrap" after professional photographs of the nursery were published), but we think it's the perfect fit for our baby girl!

1 comment: