Feb 3, 2009

The Story of Us (A family of 4-ish)

I'm not quite sure where to start -- the last couple of years, ESPECIALLY the last 6 months have been packed with exciting events and life changing experiences.

Here's what you need to know:

A little over 2 years ago I re-met a friend from my early teenage years at a wedding shower. About 3 months later -- I [allegedly] professed my love over a shared Lucky Dog on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras (I dropped mine and sensing my great disappointment -- he offered to share). On November 29, 2008 I became Jenny Kurz; I married my best friend and my most favorite person in the world -- Adam.

We knew we would get married someday, and we knew that we wanted to have kids someday -- so, when we found out about "the bean" it didn't change our tentative plans...it just put us in fast forward mode -- and turned tentative into definite!

Oh, and scared ^#*@ out of us! -- Which I have no problem admitting. I am convinced that even the most detailed planning can not alleviate the fear of having your first baby. I mean -- it's uncharted territory...like visiting a new colony in outer space. Maybe some adventurous people can't relate to that analogy -- but I'm a BIG CHICKEN who doesn't handle change very well...so it works for me!

It should be mentioned at this point -- that although we were terrified, confused, shocked, etc... We NEVER wavered in our immediate decision to have and raise our baby.

I do think that women/couples have options. I firmly agree that the topic of abortion is a HUGE gray area (sorry to disappoint all of the teachers from my Baptist high school that tried to convince me otherwise) and that it is an EXTREMELY personal decision. But for us, because of our beliefs and our situation -- it was not an option. I think that adoption is a great alternative for people who believe that someone else can give their baby a better life. But, after less than 7 seconds of realizing that I was pregnant, no one in the world could have convinced me that someone could have given OUR baby a better life or more love than we could. So -- although it was one of the scariest decisions we have ever had to make -- it was an easy, obvious choice.

So, that explains how me, Adam and Baby Kurz came to be -- but, there is one more member of this branch of the Kurz family tree that deserves a little attention. Our slightly overweight "beagle", Belle, is the final member of our family. She was really my first shot at motherhood -- and, we pray all the time that I will do a better job with a real baby! Adam's book claims that Belle and the baby will develop a special bond...we'll DEFINITELY revisit that topic at a later date.

That's enough for today.

Oh - one last note - My mom bought our ENTIRE set of nursery furniture today!!!! It's all scheduled to arrive by the 20th.

Thanks Mom! We are SO excited about making a special place for our baby! And, we can't wait to share pictures with everyone. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! We love you!

1 comment: